The first step is to wash and lightly sand your clay pot and let this dry completely, apply a coat of matte sealer of your choice. Once dry, using the applicator tool, I applied alcohol inks (Salmon and Sunshine Yellow) and a mixative (Snow Cap) with a squirt of blending solution over the colors. Next torn tissue paper was applied and I used Americana Decou-page, but any medium you like is fine. I left some areas uncovered.
Then I applied Wild Honey and Mustard Seed Distress stains in a random pattern and gave a spray with water to blend. Have a damp paint brush available to catch any drips or to move color around. When dry, I gave a spray of matte sealer.
Next is to tone done some of the brightness using some Antique Linen Distress paint, lightly load one side of a paint brush and rub off excess on a paper towel and then begin highlighting the raised tissue wrap areas and don't be concerned with a little extra paint going where you don't want it. You can rub that into to pot for more color variation using your fingers.
Now we repeat the layering process using Brushed Corduroy and Black Soot. With the last application of color, I also turned the pot upside down to hit areas in a different direction. Once happy this was sealed with a spray. Sorry this photo blurred.
The stages of the lonely clay pot!
The Latticeworks stencil fit perfectly around the rim of the pot with just slightly off from start to finish, but not even noticeable. Loved that. I taped down the stencil and pounced on Black Soot using the applicator and each section was heat set and sealed with spray before moving onto the next areas. You could use paint, but I really wanted a more translucent look, so went with the Distress ink. The spray sealer will also lift off a little of the Distress ink and that is exactly the look I wanted to achieve.
Now that the pot is all prepared, I decided to decorate the pot with some stamped images from Classic #17 and Papillon. Some images were masked, stamped directly on the pot and then colored with Distress Markers (Antique Linen, Spiced Marmalade, Mustard Seed) or stamped on tissue paper and colored on the reverse side with Distress ink (Dried Marigold). After I apply a tissue image to the pot, I always apply another coat of medium over the image, but starting in the center and working to the edge. All imaged were stamped using Black Archival and then heat set.
A little secret is to always have a cotton swab and some alcohol handy in the event of a stamping mishap. Most of the Archival ink will lift off with alcohol when done quickly. Don't rub, but blot off and then gently wipe with water. Images stamped and colored with markers were given a quick spray with sealer to set color. All tissue stamped and colored images were applied with Americana Decou-page. When all was finished, again I gave the entire pot a couple of sprays with sealer. This will be varnished once I am sure I don't want to add more images.
I sure hope you enjoyed this little adventure and will go find an old pot and have a little fun altering it. Again I thank you for stopping by!