I'm taking Tim Holtz's Summer of Creative Chemistry online course and we have just revisited Tim's Shabby Chic paint resist technique. It was the perfect technique to incorporate into my Destination Inspiration project so that became the starting point for my Papillon mixed media tag.
I coloured a piece of manila cardstock with Walnut Stain Distress paint and then stamped the script stamp from Tim Holtz's Papillon stamp set with Distress embossing ink and clear embossed it.
The tag was die cut and then coloured entirely with Weathered Wood Distress paint. I waited until the paint was slightly tacky and then gently rubbed it off the embossed areas with a slightly dampened cloth. The embossed areas resisted the top coat of paint and easily wiped away to reveal that lovely script!
A piece of cold press watercolour paper was torn into a strip about 2 1/2" x 5". I coloured the stacked butterflies stamp from the Papillon set with several shades of yellow and grey/blue Distress inks and markers, spritzed the stamp slightly with water and stamped it onto the watercolour paper.
For a second resist technique, I covered the watercolour stamped butterflies with Distress Micro Glaze and, after buffing off the excess, gave the watercolour paper strip a wash of diluted Weathered Wood Distress ink. The glaze resisted the Weathered Wood wash and kept the butterflies colours bright and beautiful. Before adding this strip to my tag, I spattered it with some diluted black acrylic paint and aged the edges with Walnut Stain Distress ink.
A Stitched Oval frame was die cut from brown Neutral Coredinations cardstock and gently sanded to reveal the kraft core.
At the same time, I die cut the frame from black fun foam and adhered it behind the Coredinations frame to give it some dimension as you can see in the photo above.
A small scalloped tag was die cut from manila cardstock with a Tag Collection die and stamped with the 'make art' sentiment and a couple of hearts from Wendy Vecchi's Just Say It Background stamp. The sentiment was stamped with Black Soot Distress Archival ink and clear embossed.
The small tag was then coloured with Stormy Sky and Weathered Wood Distress inks using the wrinkle free distress technique and edged with more Walnut Stain DI. I attached it to a small rusty safety pin with a jump ring.
Butterflies were added to the top left and bottom right corners of the #8 tag from Tim Holtz's Elements Remnant Rubs. It was only after I started to add them that I realized that they were the same butterflies as the stamps!
More manila card was coloured with Distress inks in two colour ways, one piece in shades of yellow and one piece in shades of grey/blue. The grey/blue card was then stamped with a fine script stamp and Vintage Photo Distress Archival ink and clear embossed to echo the shabby chic paint resist background on the tag.
The EK Success Layered Butterfly punch was then used to cut two butterflies from the coloured card and they were layered and adhered to the stitched oval frame. I wanted just a peek of yellow and orange through the grey/blue butterfly's wings to reflect the colouring of the stamped watercolour butterflies beside it.
The strip of watercolour paper was adhered to the tag background and the stitched oval frame was centered on top.
I added a brad to each corner of the watercolour paper.
It's difficult to see but I also added just a touch of Stardust Stickles glitter glue along the top edges of each of the watercoloured butterfly's wings.
And as a finishing touch, I coloured some Crinkle Ribbon with Weathered Wood, Stormy Sky and Walnut Stain DI's and tied it to the top of the tag, along with a bit of black and brown yarn, with a piece of jute twine. The small scalloped tag was then pinned in place.
I hope that you have enjoyed seeing how I utilized the contents of my carry on bag to make my Papillon mixed media tag.