Product: Patterened Paper
Technique: Altered Paper Techniques
Substrate: Notebook or Journal Cover
I began by using the cover of a Notebook, the back cover.
I covered the front and back of the Notebook cover with Tim Holtz Regions Beyond Paper Stash, the colours were perfect for the challenge brief.
I then covered the paper with a good layer of DecoArt Crackle Glaze and allowed to dry completely.
Once the Glaze was completely dry I applied a coat of Raw Umber Antiquing Cream, applying with my finger and removing any excess with a damp baby wipe.
I love how the Antiquing Cream settles into all the fine cracks, highlighting the wonderful texture.
I then applied a coat of DecoArt Matte Medium to make sure the Antiquing Cream was then permanent and could no longer me manipulated or moved in any way.
I cut 8 lengths of rusty tin wire, folded them in half and then used Eileen Hull's Twist and Style Tool to twist the wire together; this tool makes it so easy!
I then created my rustic/organic bird cage.
I added Vermilion and Raw Umber DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics to a non-stick craft sheet.
I mixed the two colours together.
I then painted a Prima frame with the mix of paint and allowed to dry; adding a second layer of colour for good coverage. I also die cut 8 lots of the Silhouette Bird from thick white card.
I adhered all the layers together and allowed to dry completely.
I covered the dimensional bird with book pages and then covered with a layer of DecoArt Crackle Glaze and allowed to dry. Once again I applied a layer of Raw Umber Antiquing Cream to highlight those wonderful cracks. I added a piece of driftwood to adhere the bird to and to ensure he stood securely.
I found a number paperclip in my drawers and thought this made a perfect eye and the colour was just what I needed, don't you love it when that happens!
I gave my bird a hat which I covered with DecoArt Media Texture Sand Paste, applying with my finger and allowing to dry completely before painting. I then painted the hat with Quinacridone Gold, Raw Umber and touches of Carbon Black.
A copper letter has beed added to the base of the stand and I also included coiled pieces of rusty tin wire for added texture and dimension. I attached my cage by drilling holes through the base and feeding the wire pieces through the base.
I added a sentiment to one side of my cage base. I also added stamping around all four sides using Tim Holtz background stamp.
I added natural moss around the base of the bird.
I added a piece of cotton tape, stamped with the word BIRD to the top of the cage which I coloured with a touch of Gathered Twigs Distress Ink.
Please check out our current challenge (link in the side bar) and of course there will be more inspiration for you over the next couple of weeks.